Sunday, February 3, 2013

Repurposed dresser!

I guess I've found a new addiction in DIY projects. I started small and built my way up to refurbishing an old dresser! I blame all my inspiration on Pinterest! I haven't thought of many original ideas, I just see something I like and decide to make my own. I found the idea for this weekend's project originally from this pin... http://pinterest.com/pin/49539664623487288/
 
My sister's neighbor just happened to be getting rid of their own dresser so I snagged it off their sidewalk! Lucky me! This is what is started out as...
I borrowed some supplies from my lovely friend, Erin, and jumped right in! I'm learning as I go and hoping it all works out :) I started out with a little sanding.

The sanding process was MUCH easier than I was anticipating. I feel like everything I've heard and read about sanding is horrible. It helped that the dresser didn't have a glossy top coat and was pretty worn down to begin with.

Next, came filling in the huge gouge in the front of the drawer. This wood filler was like magic!


Now on to the primer...

Next, I had to figure out how to remove that back ledge. With the help of picture messaging with my dad, I got it off...

It had an old fashioned bolt and turning mechanism.
Voila!
Now I was left with these huge holes. Which gave me another chance to practice my skills with the magic wood filler :)
You'd never know it was there :)
 
Primer is now done. On to the paint :)
 
I used a high gloss paint since the dresser will be used a lot and have things placed on top of it.
I taped the inside to insure I didn't get paint all over the inside and be left with drawers that would stick when you try to open them.
I really like the detail on the legs.

All painted! Now just needs new knobs :) If I'm lucky, I'll be able to get a granite or marble top. I'm happy with it for now though! I may just use a big butcher block style cutting board to use on the top.


No comments:

Post a Comment